Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship
The VACEP Leadership Development Fellowship is designed to develop and groom future emergency medicine leaders. The fellowship combines elements of mentoring, with skills in organization, education, advocacy, and involvement.
The fellowship serves to provide both an orientation to organized medicine and leadership development to ensure our future emergency medicine leaders succeed.
Nominate yourself or someone here. (Requirements below)
- Develop leaders who are prepared for their leadership roles in terms of knowledge and experience.
- Provide orientation and skills to allow potential leaders to promote emergency medicine locally and nationally.
- Increase participation in VACEP activities and committees, developing long-term leadership for the organization.
CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION
The key components of the VACEP Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship include:
- Providing leadership development through mentorship, VACEP Board of Directors participation, and advocacy-related projects.
- Giving early career emergency physicians opportunities to participate in and lead state and national advocacy efforts on behalf of emergency physicians and their patients.
- Establishing and developing relationships with state and national leaders in emergency medicine and health policy.
Any member of the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians (VACEP) may nominate himself/herself or another resident member for this award.
To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current member in good standing of VACEP;
- Minimum of 3 years of membership in ACEP or EMRA;
- Completed an emergency medicine residency within 10 years or will complete residency this year. Current final-year EM residents are eligible to apply (Fellowship would start after residency graduation).
The VACEP Leadership & Advocacy Fellow will attend and participate in the following:
- EPs currently doing or planning to do other fellowships are eligible.
- Agree to participate in all elements of the Fellowship, as detailed below.
- At least three VACEP Board of Directors meetings.
- VACEP Legislative Affairs Committee and Legislative SWAT Team.
- VACEP White Coats on Call in January 2018 in Richmond.
- At least one legislative hearing at which VACEP is testifying.
- 2018 ACEP Leadership and Advocacy Conference.
- ACEP Council Meeting at ACEP17 (as an Alternate Councilor). For more information about being an Alternate Councilor, visit https://www.acep.org/About-Us/Councillor-Alternate-Councillor-Position-Description/
- Complete a project designed in coordination with the Legislative Affairs Committee and the Fellowship Mentor.
Annual call for nominees: April
Deadline for nominations: May 31
Over the course of their one-year fellowship, VACEP Advocacy & Leadership Fellows will participate.