Leadership and Advocacy Fellowship, 2018-2019
VACEP is excited to offer the highly-regarded Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship for 2018-2019 to early-career emergency physicians passionate about improving emergency medical care throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
VACEP Mission Statement
The Virginia College of Emergency Physicians exists to promote quality emergency care for all patients and to represent the professional interests of our members.
Applications are being accepted for the 2018-2019 Virginia College of Emergency Physicians Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2018.
The Fellowship will be for one year, from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
Key elements of the VACEP Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship:
- Providing leadership development through mentorship, VACEP Board of Directors participation, and advocacy-related projects.
- Giving early career emergency physicians opportunities to participate in and lead state and national advocacy efforts on behalf of emergency physicians and their patients.
- Establishing and developing relationships with state and national leaders in emergency medicine and health policy.
Criteria for Fellowship Acceptance
Highly qualified candidates will be chosen for the 2018-2019 VACEP Leadership & Advocacy Fellowship.
To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current member in good standing of VACEP;
- Minimum of 3 years of membership in ACEP or EMRA;
- Completed an emergency medicine residency within 10 years or will complete residency this year. Current final-year EM residents are eligible to apply (Fellowship would start after residency graduation).
- EPs currently doing or planning to do other fellowships are
- Agree to participate in all elements of the Fellowship, as detailed below.
The application process is competitive. Applicants will be chosen by the VACEP Board of Directors based on their contributions to the emergency medicine community and their demonstrated potential for future emergency medicine leadership.
Roles and Responsibilities
The VACEP Leadership & Advocacy Fellows will attend and participate in the following during their fellowship year:
- Complete a project designed in coordination with the Legislative Affairs Committee and the Fellowship Mentor.
- At least three VACEP Board of Directors meetings.
- VACEP Legislative Affairs Committee and Legislative SWAT Team.
- VACEP White Coats on Call, January 2019 in Richmond.
- At least one legislative hearing at which VACEP is testifying.
- 2019 ACEP Leadership and Advocacy Conference.
- ACEP Council Meeting at ACEP18 (as an Alternate Councilor). For more information about being an Alternate Councilor, visit https://www.acep.org/About-Us/Councillor-Alternate-Councillor-Position-Description/
VACEP will match the Leadership & Advocacy Fellows with a mentor from the current VACEP Board of Directors.
VACEP will award $1,500 per Fellow.
Meeting Dates 2018-2019
|Start of Fellowship||July 1, 2018|
|Legislative Affairs Committee Project||Create & complete a project, along with the VACEP leadership and your Fellowship Mentor||Due by end of fellowship|
|VACEP Board of Directors Meeting||Attend the Board of Directors meeting||September 6, 2018||Richmond, VA Office|
|ACEP Council Meeting||Attend two-day council meeting||September 29-20, 2018||San Diego, CA|
|VACEP Board of Directors Meeting||Attend Board of Directors Meeting||December 5, 2018||TBD|
|Virginia White Coats on Call||Attend WCOC||January 2018||Hilton Richmond Downtown, Richmond, VA|
|Virginia General Assembly||Available as necessary||Winter/Spring 2019||State Capitol, Richmond, VA|
|VACEP Board of Directors Meeting||Attend the Board of Directors meeting||February 10, 2019||Omni Homestead, Hot Springs, VA|
|ACEP Leadership & Advocacy Conference||Attend 2019 LAC||May, 5-8 2019||Grand Hyatt, Washington, DC|
Cameron Olderog, MD, FACEP
Leon Adelman, MD, MBA, FACEP
|VACEP Executive Director:
Bob Ramsey, CAE
The application deadline is May 15, 2018. The VACEP Board of Directors will choose the 2018-2019 L&A fellows based on a review of the applications. The Fellowship will begin on July 1, 2018 and end June 30, 2019.
Please email the application to the VACEP Board of Directors at VACEPLeadership@gmail.com. Save the application materials as a Word document or in .PDF format. Please include your name in the file name(s).